My name is Stephany Triska, and I am one of the 2017 Dale Ride interns! I came here to share my experiences in my first week of internship. Hope you like it! 🙂
During this summer I’ll be working with Laura at the National Whistleblower Center, an NGO which has been protecting the rights of individuals to report misconducts without fearing retaliation for almost 30 years. That is an incredible opportunity!
I arrived in D.C. on Wednesday (06.14) and was lucky enough to only start my internship on Monday (06.19). I had four days to get familiar with the area, organize my dorm and get used to the time zone. But I am going to confess that I slept a lot during these days haha. Here are some photos from my first days
On Friday 06.16, I had a meeting with a Brazilian Ambassador at the Embassy of Brazil. We discussed what is like to be in this field, and represent Brazil in an international scale. I also had the chance to check others Embassies, since most of them are located at Massachusetts Ave in D.C. When would I ever imagine this would have happened? Here I have photos of the Embassy of Brazil, the Islamic Center of Washington D.C. and the Mexican Delegation:
- The next day I went to pick up Dane at his work in the Senate, and I had the chance to take this picture of the U.S. Capitol:
- On my first day, we received training and started to read more about whistleblowers rights in the U.S. especially focusing on crimes related to Wildlife!
- The NWC is located in the historic Georgetown, one of the most beautiful neighborhoods I have ever seen! Here is a photo from our office:
- Laura and I got lucky, and we only work M-Th (I am sorry Dane, Tamara, and Micca lol) During the week, we met with, Stephen Kohn, who is nationally known as an expert in Whistleblower Law. We will be working and learning from him during our internship 🙂 We also started to research NGOs in Latin America that can partner with the NWC to report corrupt practices in foreign countries. For sure a lot of information for the first week of work!
- These are all my updates for the week! I will keep all of you posted on everything amazing that is happening around here. This summer will be one of the best times of my life! Thank you for reading this post, and hope you can come back soon to visit the blog and learn more about the Dale Ride experience! ❤