THE INAUGURAL INTERN
In the mid 1940s, Dale Ride’s political science professor arranged an internship for him in the office of Congresswoman Margaret Chase Smith, the first woman ever elected to serve in both houses of Congress. The experience had such a profound effect on Dale that he dedicated his life to public service and taught political science at SMC for thirty-three years.
No other community college in the country has such a program. Through generous donations to the SMCF Annual Fund, The Dale Ride Family Fund, and other supporters, a few highly successful, bright and energetic SMC students travel to DC for an eight-week experience. In memory of Dale Ride, the Santa Monica College Foundation has since sent more than 120 of SMC’s best students to our nation’s capital.
Our students get unparalleled hands-on opportunities. You will:
· Participate in the legislative, political and administrative processes in governmental or public service agencies.
· Gain exposure to and experience in the process of public policy and public service.
· Broaden your awareness of and vision in pursuing public service as a possible career.
· Work with professional staff in research, analysis, and development of legislative proposals.
· Assist in organizing and participating in public forums and events.
· Acquire self-confidence and self-discipline, gain critical thinking skills and apply your knowledge beyond the classroom.